Peach Canning

Hey Guys,

So I canned peaches today. Long story short I initially thought I couldn't can the peaches from Schnepf farms because they are semi clingstone. However; I was determined not to give up and I found this wonderful blog that explained to me an easy way to get the pit out without demolishing the peaches. Here is my peach canning story, in pictures!

Peaches waiting to be canned

They smell so yummy!
All washed

Get that water boiling!

Put peaches in boiling water for 40sec-1 min

Stop cooking process by removing peaches with slotted spoon and put in ice cold water

LOVE blanching. Think it's the coolest kitchen trick I've seen! The peal comes right off!

Here is the genius idea from the blog up above. Use a mango splitter to get the pit out without ruining the fruit. Side note I went to 4 different stores but if you're interesting Target sells a mango splitter for 14 bucks!

Press down

tah dah!
Cut up peaches.  Be sure to sprinkle peaches with ascorbic acid or lemon juice to keep from browning

These are peach scraps. If the peach was too mushy to can then the scraps went in here. I froze these and they will work great for smoothies and such.

All the skins and pits
Make the syrup. I made light syrup which was 2 cups of sugar to 6 cups of water.

Get that canner going. Did I mention do differently than me. It takes FOREVER to boil. Start this first then do your peaches. Unlike I did.  :) Live and Learn.

Fill jars with peaches. Gently sweep spatula around jar and in between peaches to get our excess air.

Fill warm jars with boiling syrup then wipe edge of jars clean.

Apply lids and process in water bath for 30 minutes.


Afterward marvel at your good job and wait to hear the sweet sound of pop which means the jars are sealed! All done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Boppy Pillow

My Toxic Life

Second Week, First Run and Spinach/Chicken Calzone